* There is a bug in the option “this row -> Export payload to file” of the Frame Holder of dBase, whose response is always “Error: row without payload”. There is not workaround, but the bug has been fixed to the next release.
* Users will note that some pages of the on-line manual have not been updated yet, so that still does not include the editing improvements in the Note/Memo fields, or characteristics of the new Frame Holder window in the Extended Fields of dBase. Although in both cases the functioning is fairly simple, we hope these changes and improvements can be documented soon.
As of the date, the English version of the Organizator’s Users Blog has its own independent address (this). These pages contain only the notes in English (previously the English and Spanish notes where merged). The Spanish version is in its own address. -In the left side, below the “last entries” there is a link to the Spanish pages).
It is available for download the version 5.8.1 of OrganiZator. Recall that in www.zator.com/mUs/H6.htm you can get a detail on how to upgrade from previous versions. The new version corrects some errors and inconsistencies which mainly affect the user interface.
* Fixed a problem in the Frame Holder of dBase, that sometimes not properly refresh that window, especially when the object showed is a document. PDF, WORD, etc.
* Fixed a possible problem of memory loss in the process of reload the image of the Frame Holder of dBase.
* Fixed a problem that sometimes prevented to work properly the option “Open image in new window” of the Frame Holder of dBase.
* The “Rebuild & Squeeze” option of the main window, now reports the space freed (unused dBase space returned to the System).
* Fixed a bug in the option “Delete all this content” in the Frame Holder who not erase all items if previously has been deleted or changed an item.
* Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented work correctly the option “Import files from directory” in the Frame Holder of dBase.
* Fixed a bug that in certain circumstances prevented to show correctly some windows in the scheduler.
It has been uploaded a new build of OrganiZator v 5.8.0. This new version, can be identified because the installed executable (Zator5.exe) is listed as version 188.8.131.52 in front of the original 184.108.40.206.
We have not detected any problem with the false detection mentioned in the previous message, so we consider that with regard to the PC Tools Antivirus the problem has been solved. However, as anecdotal data, we can mention that after testing the previous version by the 39 anti-virus of Virus Total, we got 5 warnings:
Anti-virus engine Version Date Alert type
Authentium 220.127.116.11 2009.03.19 W32/Heuristic-210!Eldorado
CAT-QuickHeal 10.00 2009.03.19 (Suspicious) – DNAScan
F-Prot 18.104.22.168 2009.03.19 W32/Heuristic-210!Eldorado
Sophos 4.39.0 2009.03.19 Sus/ComPack-C
TheHacker 22.214.171.124.285 2009.03.19 W32/Behav-Heuristic-064
This morning, just to start the day, we received several news about viruses. The first, an update to the anti-virus used in our equipment: Spyware Doctor with Antivirus from PC Tools (version 126.96.36.1990).
The second, a safety bulletin entitled “Uno al día from Hispasec, an accredited IT security company who regularly publishes research on security and cryptography. After a quick review; download the mail, etc. We started at work. Of course we use our own application extensively to hold all kind of information, and when trying to start the latest version 5.8.0 of Organizator, published last 17, we met with that the anti-virus application prevents start with a message Warning: “Threat level risk suspect locked in Heurengine.Packed.Themida.Rba.
Needless to say, the surprise/disgust has been tremendous. Specifically, that topic is one of the modules of the application that we use to protect the program against possible attacks or reverse engineering. We have not had time yet to check whether the alarm occurs with older versions, or other anti-virus, but in reality, for the reasons explained below we suspect that it can happen.
It goes without saying that the goal of Zator Systems is developing and selling software and of course is not our intention to make any virus, Trojan or backdoor of any kind, so we ensure that our application OrganiZator is completely free of viruses or spyware, assuming of course that the application is legitimate and has been downloaded from our website. It is important to note that so far, none of the major software distribution companies to which we have send the application has encountered any problem in it. For example, Softpedia, which has collected in its pages the new version, said:
Softpedia guarantees that OrganiZATOR 5.8.0 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.
The case had a prologue days ago, when the anti-virus noticed about an application for synchronizing files that we use for several years. In this case, since it is an old application, we chose to remove it while we thought of seeking for a substitute.
The point is that it appears to the anti-virus vendors have been started to go out of hand with the method of heuristic detection, so that they are beginning to bear positive even with original files from Microsoft!. But better than our words, in the attached link from Hispasec, you can find a great article about the current situation, called “Anti-virus and false positive a chaos” whose reading we advise (original is in Spanish, but as usual you can read it in English with Google)
We are working on eliminating this problem of false positives. Meanwhile, we reiterate our users that regarding Organizator, can absolutely rely on its safety in this latest version 5.8.0, as in the past and future versions.
* The new version represents a major step in the development schedule of OrganiZator. In addition to lead a review of minor inconsistencies in the user interface and bug correction, this version incorporate significant improvements in dBase, so we recommend upgrading to all users of previous versions.
* It has been incorporated a new field in dBase that we call Frame Holder (FH). Now, besides the Extended Data of each item, may be included a catalog of images or other resources -the kind of objects that are visible in the browser.- So, besides the other fields, may be attached photographs; Web pages; PDF documents and any other resources that are typically accessed in the Web. The resources shown in the FH may be external to the dBase (located anywhere, on the Intranet or in Internet) or internal, in which case they are stored in the Zator’s dBase. For example, a JPG image, a PDF document, Etc. The demo included with the installation contains several examples.
* It has improved the formatting of the Note/Memo fields of dBase. Along with the existing capacity of storing notes as plain text (without format), it is now possible to store, import and export these notes as formatted text (RTF), with the possibility of determining the character set (font); size and color of the text; background color; interlined and indentation. Also is possible the use of underlining; bold; italic, etc. In addition to the above, it has included the ability of redo and undo movements in these fields.
* It has been eliminated an error who allow delete an item in the link’s windows (lower windows of dBase). When pressing the [Delete] key to delete the link, instead of remaining the item and delete the link, the item where removed. Now, the behavior is correct; according to the documentation, the link is erased but the item remains.
* Has been added the ability to qualify a previous anonymous link. In previous versions you could change the type of a link, or anonymous it -clear it’s type-, but once anonymous, could not be qualified again.
* It has been eliminated a problem of visibility in the Extended Data of dBase, presented when using a screens resolution of 1280×800 pixels. The application can be used with virtually all standard screen resolutions from 800×600 to 1440×900 and above.